How To Write a Novel : Alexander Chee on writing by hand, keeping a side journal, and “the monogamy of the idea”.





Alexander Chee provided some of the greatest advice ever in this interview for the new Moleskine Journal. There are several brilliant pieces of advice contained in this short piece which I will likely be reviewing this month. One of my favorites is to keep a journal for the novel--it is in the section on taking your novel for a date, which I will cover later, but the idea of a daily blog or journal about your novel is very solid. Alexander even provides some specific advice on how to do this:

  • Write an entry when you finish for the day
  • Complain
  • Ask Questions
  • Note files or sources that you need
  • Blog with the most recent on the top 
I will be using the Dime Novel edition of Field Notes Brand for this--mostly, because it is unlined & unruled and Alexander has another piece of advice I will get to later that one should "keep it messy".

Comments